Dating an engineer is almost the same as dating any normal guy, you just have to know and respect the fact that they are a little more rational and busy in their everyday lives.
An engineer can cherish and adore you while also providing you with basic necessities of life and financial security. However, no relationship can be a complete fairy-tale.
Living with an engineer requires both patience and persistence. Their jobs usually require a great amount of hard work and time from them, leading them to having jam-packed schedules.
It is not like they won’t give you time and attention, they will, but that time of leisure will be limited. So, before entering into a serious commitment with an engineer, you first need to know well, their lifestyle and habits.
What to expect when dating an engineer?
Here are some points that you need to keep in mind while going out for dating an engineer:
- Engineers usually lead a lonely life. Due to the technical and time-consuming nature of their jobs, they usually find less time to hang out with their friends and life partners.
- They are introverts. They do not open-up easily and tend to keep their feelings to themselves. This may upset you as their date, especially if you are the kind of person who believes in exchange of all thoughts and emotions between life partners.
- Most of the engineers are very dedicated and hardworking. You’ll have to acknowledge the fact that they’ll have less time to spend with you, than that which they contribute to their work.
- They may not have time for you on weekends, because of being surrounded by issues related to statistics, physics, thermodynamics etc. However, you won’t have to worry about your engineer boyfriend cheating on you because, simply put, they will not have the time for it.
- They are multi-tasking. They love to fix things on their own. So, if you require a plumber, gardener, or technician, you won’t have to call one, because an engineer possessing all those skills will be there for you at your service.
- Don’t expect them to plan too many dates, especially surprise dates. Their busy schedules may even make them forget the dates they plan with you. A situation like that could be disappointing for you, but you’ll have to understand the nature of their job to have a healthy and sustainable relationship with them.
- They are very curious. Your engineer boyfriend may push you to tell them all your problems and worries, so that he could work on finding solutions to them.
You know you’re dating an engineer boyfriend when:
Dating an engineer could be a strange experience for you, because their interests, concerns, and method of settling the issues may sometimes cause you to agape your mouth in wonder.
Similarly, you may at some point observe how an engineer’s presence in your life as a partner has caused you to change a bit, at a subconscious level.
Some of these changes can be:
- You no more think of your life as hard. You become thankful for leading an easy-going life because you witness how an engineer’s life is much harder and complicated as compared to yours. In addition to that, you’ll start finding solutions rather than whining about your problems, just like most engineers do.
- Dating an engineer may increase your interest and knowledge in areas related to engineering such as biomedical, chemical, industrial engineering and many more, about which you may not have known before.
- About 98% of the time, you wouldn’t understand his jargon. His mumbo jumbo may cause you to be perplexed and bewildered, but you cannot do anything about that.
- You feel like the odd ball out when he talks to his engineer friends regarding some technical, engineering-related issues.
- When they crack jokes full of physics and mechanics, and you laugh as though you get them, when in reality you’ve got no idea about what he meant.
- You find him on a call even at 2 A.M, because his work may sometimes not even allow him the time to sleep. You realize that the guy you are dating is a stud, but you still love him.
- The conflict resolutions between you and him will be approached calmly and logically.
Top 2 Tips for Dating an Engineer:
Dating an engineer is not an easy job, especially when you are not an analytical person.
You have to put double efforts to understand him and make the most out of your relationship.
Here are a few tips which can be kept in mind while you go out for a date with your engineer partner:
- Your ‘out of the blue’ plans might cause your boyfriend to go in-depth for understanding them because he’d have a habit of analyzing every matter. They do not just accept what they are told, rather they have a habit of fully dissecting every situation before they come up with their decision. Therefore, you need to get prepared for being questioned in such situations.
- An engineer is always passionate about his work. So, you need to be patient while they discuss major and minor details of their work, even if you don’t understand any of it. If you do not do so, you may hurt them, making them feel like you are not interested in their life, which may consequently weaken your relationship.
Engineers are usually straight-forward, and they hate to decode the hints that are thrown to them. They don’t like beating about the bush.
Thus, what you think and want should be conveyed to them in a very simple and understandable way. This would encourage them to share their concerns with you in the same manner.
Efficient communication is vital for a relationship to survive and thrive.
Reasons to date an engineer:
They make great life partners
Engineers being extremely logical and practical, help in sustaining the relationship for a long time by ensuring that the home life is stable and organized. From making great use of excel spreadsheets for your finances to booking a dream holiday, you can count on them to get it all sorted out.
They never say “Never”
Engineers love to find out the solutions for technical problems. You will not hear the word “Never” from them for sorting issues of any kind.
They always learn
You will find that real engineers are always learning from their mistakes. They won’t show rigidness in admitting their faults, and will try to make right what they do wrong. After all, that’s what their work is about, seeing problems and sorting them out.
What is a witty romantic question to ask an engineer on a dating site?
Well, engineers mostly possess straight-forward nature. They like to express what’s inside their heart. They usually don’t pretend to be what they are not.
Therefore, you can take advantage of your engineer partner’s nature on your first date. You can ask them if they are sincere with you and aiming for a long-term relationship or not.
You could also ask if they love you more than their work or less.
These questions will definitely surprise them. They might not be able to answer you on the spot if they are confused about you.
However, if they are confident in their love for you, they’ll tell you right away that they are sincere. This way you can make your date exciting and also get the truth out of your boyfriend’s mouth.
Good things about dating them:
- Engineers are very well-mannered and ethical. So, an engineer boyfriend would try to be very respectful towards you.
- They can resolve the relationship conflicts in a rational and calm manner. They strive to find solutions rather than dwelling on the problems.
- Engineer boyfriends come with the bonus ability to fix electrical appliances.
- They are well-organized.
- You may get parental approval for dating easily when it is about an engineer, as they’d consider your future safe with a man like that.
- Engineers enjoy handsome salaries for their capabilities and efforts. You may not have to worry about financial issues when you are dating a man with good income.
- They love to face challenging tasks. They make it a matter of life and death when it comes to thinking critically for solving a problem. Hence, it may mean that they won’t leave your side even in difficult times and situations.
- Dating an engineer can be pretty cheap as they feel as comfortable chilling with a beer as they do at any fancy restaurant.
Why are engineers hard to date, sometimes?
They are concerned about their reputation
Engineers like to be professional.
They don’t like to hangout in untidy clothes because they have to maintain their reputation in public. They don’t chill as other people do in public places.
Thus, you also need to behave formally and wear dresses that won’t make them embarrassed in front of their colleagues.
They are dedicated to their work
You will find your engineer to be so dedicated to his work that he’d even forget the date plans you made together.
Even on a date, you will notice him looking at his phone all the time for a call or message from his boss or his client.
This is the reason why most of the engineers prefer to get married before or during their graduation because they can’t take out time for extra hangouts and late-night dinners in later years.
At first, they would simply say a big “No” if you ask him for a date.
Even if he agrees for a date, you will notice him talking more to his clients than you.
Engineers’ time is all about making their clients satisfied because they are so honest to their jobs.
They have a busy schedule:
This can be the one of the biggest hurdles to dating engineers, as they typically work for 50 to 60 hours a week, unless they are the head of a company or work for a company that doesn’t require such a long commitment.
Instead, their partners are required to be flexible with them and be available in their free time.
Some tips for long-term relationship with an engineer:
If you need a healthy, long relationship despite the drawbacks of dating an engineer, you’d certainly need to make some compromises. Here are some tips that could help you:
- Both of you should decide and agree on the time and day for going out at a date. Mostly, weekends are preferable, and daytime could be ideal.
- Place of date should be near to his home or office. This would be convenient for him if he gets a sudden call from his office.
- If your relationship is getting rough, you both need to put your work aside and go for a vacation. This could mend the gaps in your bond.
- Lastly, understand one another! Share your concerns and worries with your partner
Some Good Qualities of an engineer that Make People Date Them:
When you look for dating someone, you certainly search for some qualities in your partner which make them distinct from others.
Engineers also possess some qualities which make them very unique from others:
They are organized
Engineers are very particular about their things. They like to have easy access to things, up-to-date technology, working solutions, and organization in their lives. You will also become productive and organized if you respect and follow their ways.
They learn things very quickly
Many women want their partners to remember special dates, such as their birthdays, first dates, promotions etcetera, and engineers are too good at absorbing all that information. Going in depth for sorting out technical issues makes their memory sharp.
They are committed
Once engineers put their mind to something, they don’t back off. They dedicate their whole existence into making that thing work out well. Hence, when you succeed in winning an engineer’s heart, you will find them totally committed to their relationship with you. They will do everything in their control to strengthen their bond with you, and make it everlasting.
They have creative minds
Engineers always think out of the box. Thus, it’ll be an exciting experience to date an engineer, as they will always find a new way to entertain you with their thrilling ideas, and that will sure make your relationship worthwhile.
They are honest and humble
They work in environments that require a lot of trials and errors, and are required to come up with new strategies all the time. That proves their commitment and honesty towards their job. They apply the same rule towards their relationship. If you get annoyed with your engineer partner, you will notice that they will try to appease you through sweet-talk and different gifts.
They try to take initiatives
Engineers are always ready for taking initiative. They don’t wait for someone else to accomplish their needs; rather, they rush to do everything themselves. They love to fix the broken things and machinery without any delay. You are surely going to be lucky enough to have an engineer as your life partner, because they are not going to leave anything unfixed, at your home.
Dating an engineer may prove to be a wonderful experience.
Not only do they possess creative, innovative minds, and problem-solving skills, but also, they are stress-resistant and reluctant to give up into hardships. They remain calm in the face of life’s pitfalls.
They can help you while you are going through hard times, which is a principal trait everyone looks for in their partners.
Hence, it’d be worthwhile to date an engineer, as the many qualities they possess will ultimately make up for their shortcomings.