A 9-5 desk job is already hard enough and with a bad office chair, things become a pain in your bum literally. I am talking about lower back pain here.
Do you return home from your long day at the office with back-breaking cramps or back pains?
Makes you think, yea a good chair is worth it, doesn’t it?
Well if that is the case then perhaps it’s time you considered getting a new, more comfortable office chair this weekend, start your week fresh and free of back pains.
A good office chair is characterized by a comfortable and full back. Of course, the padding of your office chair should be soft enough but not too soft to allow a nap on the clock.
In addition, it should provide a variety of adjustable options, the more adjustable your chair, according to your height, lumbar support and recline, the better.
Unfortunately, such comfort comes at a high expense, a good office chair can be anywhere from 500-200$ if you’re looking to set up a new office with all new and premium material, chances are an office chair is the least of your concerns, so why not save up for maybe a better cooling system right?
Did we get you thinking about where you could find such a masterpiece that ticks all the boxes? well look no further, we have spent a good few days picking out our 8 best office chairs under 200$
Before we give you a selection of the budget office chairs, let’s take a look at why you should even be investing in a good chair instead of just settling with the random chair that you own
- For the Employee’s comfort/ Your comfort
A comfortable worker is a happy worker; it’s as simple as that. Regardless of whether it is a law firm, a marketing office, or any workplace; to produce their best work, an employee needs to be comfortable.
For example, if they’re seated on a chair that’s causing back pains and other forms of discomfort, there are very high chances of that affecting the quality of their work production.
- To maximize productivity and work ethic
Going hand in hand with the previous point, the more comfortable a person feels in their workspace, the more productive they will be and a good office chair plays a very important role in that.
- An ideal workspace keeps employees motivated
This one’s a given! If asked to choose between working by the window at a nice desk, while sitting on a good chair, or in a dusty garage, at a workbench with a single light bulb, most people will choose the former.
Of course, the difference does not have to be that dramatic. But the point is, to keep people motivated to perform their tasks most efficiently. Thus, their workspace needs to be inviting!
Most people sit at a desk for 9 to 12 hours a day continuously and it can be very hard to stay motivated. Why not make it easy as possible for them!
To ensure the quality of your health, the productivity of your mind, and work efficiency, investing in a good office chair is crucial.
What should I be looking for in a good office chair?
The ultimate goal of your office chair is to balance out your comfort and productivity, while not going too hard on your wallet.
From the backrest to the headrests, to armrests and the material of the chair; there are a lot of things that contribute to the quality.
- Should be adjustable to suit your needs
The ideal chair for most of comes with adjustable parts, most commonly being the back and height of the chair. Some have added benefits of adjustable armrests, headrests, even seats and lumbar supports!
These features are usually found in ergonomic chairs which are designed especially to maximize the comfort level while still looking classy and fully functional.
- A sturdy and long-lasting build
When you’re looking at chairs under a certain budget, often the actual quality of the chair can slip past you. However, it is equally important to make sure that you’re investing in a chair that won’t just give out on you in a few months!
Look for chairs that have stronger metal parts instead of plastic ones. They need to be strong enough to bear a few wear and tears now and then!
Along with that, the base of the chair needs to be quite sturdy as well. You should be able to stretch and recline without having the chair to fall over!
- The material should suit your workplace!
As tempting as it is to fill up every desk with a big leather chair for a classic Godfather moment, leather is not always the most comfortable seat material.
Especially in the summertime, leather heats up rather quickly and can be quite uncomfortable to sit on for longer periods.
For this reason, a lot of the chairs included in this article have a mesh backing or bonded leather seats, which makes them perfectly suitable for all seasons!
- Comfort is key!
Comfort is the key to finding the perfect chair but it is also different for every person! Even though, you might enjoy a good headrest in a chair or padded armrests but that might not be someone else’s cup of tea.
So before you go shopping for a chair, it might be a great idea to make a list of all of the qualities you’re looking for and compare them with the options available in the market.
Top 8 best office chairs under 200
So based on all these factors, we picked the best chairs for you.
REFICCER bonded leather office chair
If you’re looking for the perfect blend of comfort yet affordability, look no further because this bonded leather chair has got your back (literally)! It is especially great for home offices where it can function as a multipurpose chair (from being used as a gaming chair or by a college student for work).
Built ergonomically, it provides a lot of flexibility while supporting your body posture as you work.
- Bonded Leather – the chair is entirely covered with bonded leather which is breathable and prevents excessive sweating (which tends to be a problem with most leather chairs).
- Multi-foam cushion- The multi-foam available in this chair provides just the right amount of cushioning to keep you comfortable. But it also allows you to take a little power nap in between shifts!
- Adjustable lumbar support- Having lumbar support is very important in a chair. Especially if you’re going to be spending hours at a desk, maintenance of a good posture is crucial.
This chair not only provides excellent lumbar support, but it is also adjustable for people of varying heights!
- Adjustable back- Along with lumbar support, this chair comes with an adjustable back that you can rotate and lock in positions from 90 degrees or 110 degrees! This makes it perfect for those moments when you want to sit back and take a breather from the hectic work life!
- Armrests-In addition to that, this chair provides full support for your arms.
- No headrest- Although not completely necessary in a chair, this might be a con to consider if you do like the added head support in your chairs.
- Unsuitable for cubicle desks- Due to its larger size, this chair shines more behind a big desk in a relatively larger office instead of a cubicle desk space.
Office factor executive ergonomic office chair
Available in different colors, this chair is your go-to chair to fill up the spaces around a conference table! Even though it is lightweight (only weighs 33 pounds) it can easily support people of weights up to 250 pounds!
However, its lightweight does not mean that there’s any compromise on the sturdiness because it’s still heavy duty and durable for long workdays!
This particular chair has adjustable armrests which make it customizable for various needs. For example, you can use it for work, but also for several other purposes like gaming for long hours.
- Mesh back-The chair comes with a breathable mesh back which makes it ideal for long working days under hot conditions, especially in stuffy offices.
- Ergonomic back and seat- Both the backrest and seat of this chair have been molded perfectly to match the natural curvature of the spine for maintenance of good posture.
- Easy to assemble- With clear and detailed instructions, this chair is very easy to assemble which is a bonus!
- Adjustable height and movable arms- Like most office chairs, the height of this chair is adjustable with a lever. Its arms can be moved up and out of the way if needed!
- Lacks adjustable lumbar support- There is no adjustable lumbar support which makes the chair a bit annoying for smaller people.
- The chair does not have a headrest.
Modway Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
With its modern yet minimalistic design and adjustable features, this chair is all about comfort! This chair gives you the best of both worlds through a very thick cushioned seat and a breathable mesh back which keeps the heat (and sweat) at bay.
Even though the back has mesh, it still provides maximum support while being backed by the strong structure! The best part is the adjustable arms which help can be customized to suit people of all sizes.
- Breathable mesh ergonomic back: The seat has a very breathable mesh back. The back of the chair is also molded to ensure your spine rests against it comfortably by providing passive lumbar support.
- Adjustable height, seat, armrest, and backrest- The chair comes with 3 levers that can be used to tilt the seat, adjust the arm height, and tilt the back. The height of the seat itself can be adjusted by using a one-touch knob.
- A thick cushioned seat- This seat provides the ultimate comfort with its 6-inch thick mesh cushion.
- Unpadded Armrests- Even though the armrests are adjustable. They might not be very comfortable to use for longer periods as they lack padded armrests.
Modway attainment Vinyl Drafting Chair
This one has got all the perfect features of a drafting chair for those tiresome jobs. It keeps you comfortable and alert because of the amazing height.
With a mesh back, vinyl seat, ergonomic features, a classic full 360 swirl, and a foot stand; you’ll be feeling like a true professional in this chair!
- Lumber supporting and adjustable back-It has lumber support reclining back which goes great with for those long office hours that make it impossible to work.
- Padded armrests and seats- The seat and armrests are generously padded to provide that much-needed support and comfort during a long day at work!
- Adjustable height- It is very tall but the height is adjustable which makes it ideal for a standing desk.
- Foot ring- The adjustable foot ring provides support for your feet once you’re seated so they don’t have to keep dangling in the air
The chair is not a good pick for low desks.
Hbada ergonomic office chair
With a style and structure very similar to that of a modern-day robot, this chair will be the star of your workspace!
The white hardware, the black mesh, and cushions along with the sleek silver base all work together to make this a masterpiece.
The main selling point of this chair lies in it having an extendable footrest and complete reclining properties.
- Provides spinal support- This chair provides spinal support with the help of the headrest and backrest. It has an astounding ability to shape itself to the posture you’re holding while supporting your spine, controlling back pains, and reducing backpressure.
- Breathable mesh back- The mesh of this chair helps to keep it cool and stops the humidity from building up. This allows you to sit comfortably for long hours. It consists of comfortable foam padding and an adjustable seat.
- Extra hardware provided- The chair comes with extra (very sturdy) hardware parts which might be required in the assembly process.
- Adjustable armrest and Seat- You can also adjust the width of the armrests when you’re first building the chair. You can also adjust the height as you please. Conveniently, you can also control the distance of the seat from the backrest.
- Extendable footrest- Staying in the office for long hours can often cause your feet to swell up- until the extendable footrest comes in to save the day!
- Wheels roll very smoothly
- Cushion and mesh lose their quality over time- After using it for a while the seat cushion and back mesh start to lose their elasticity.
- Occasionally the height adjustment might get stuck.
Low back computer task desk chair
Not the most stylish one in the bunch, nor the sturdiest, but it is still a great option if you looking for a comfortable office chair that costs cheap.
With adjustable seat height and a 2inch thick padded seat, it comes in various colors. You can easily match it with your workplace theme.
- Breathable mesh back
- Smooth wheels and a 360-degree rotation- This small and lightweight chair has wheels that can easily roll over marble or wooden floor.
- Easy Assembly- Since it is such a simple chair, the assembling of it is easy. It takes about 10 minutes to do so without the need for extra hardware equipment.
- Lacks sufficient back support- This chair isn’t our favorite when it comes to back support since it’s not very adjustable which ultimately does lead to back pains.
- No armrests. While this is perfectly alright if the chair is being used for a shorter amount of time. But the lack of armrests can get pretty uncomfortable for long working hours.
- It does not recline- It also does not recline which is somewhat a necessity for people who work long hours.
- Needs frequent maintenance-The fabric of the chair tends to trap a lot of dust and needs to be cleaned regularly.
- Although it’s lightweight is an advantage, if you’re not careful it can easily tip over as well!
Smugdesk executive office chair
With a complete mesh exterior, this is an extremely comfortable chair as it provides maximum waist support. Due to its high back, it ensures an optimum posture.
- Lumbar cushioning: Instead of a molded back, this seat comes with lumbar cushioning for added spinal support and comfort.
- Breathable mesh back
- It swivels 360 degrees which allow you to adjust your position.
- Heavy-duty nylon design- Despite its looks, this chair is comfortable for use! The nylon provides increased flexibility in the headrest and armrests.
- Head support included
- Easy Assembly- Assembling the chair isn’t a hefty job and can easily be done by one person in about 30 minutes.
- It has a wide seat area making it more usable and comfortable.
- Lacks footrest
- The armrests are also a little wobbly which can get annoying.
Alera Neratoli Series Mid-Back Swivel
This smart modern chair is perfect for a clean and elegant office space. With leather coated, padded back, seat and armrests, it not only screams of style, but also comfort!
- Adjustable height
- Waterfall seat. This means the front edge of the seat is rounded. This improves circulation and takes the pressure off from the back and knees.
- Easy to assembly
- Lacks lumbar support– can cause discomfort
- Leather tends to wear over time if not properly taken care of.
- Builds up humidity- since the chair is made of leather and lacks mesh backings, humidity tends to build up. So this will only be ideal for air-conditioned offices.
What is the most comfortable desk chair:
When it comes to the most comfortable desk chair, we stand by our list.
Our top pick, the Reficcer high back bonded leather chair is an exception of its own kind.
With both style and durability and a little over 160$ across most stores, this is an amazing pick for all kinds of office jobs.
Let’s not forget the over-sized rolling caster for extra mobility, now you can roll forth and back from the printer machine without having to hop up.
Why are Desk Chairs So expensive?
If there was one particular reason, it would be comforting. These chairs are built at high standards for lower volumes and offer the user a variety of customization features.
The chairs are designed over a long period of time just to ensure that the utmost comfort is achieved while using. They are designed to fit all the descriptions of an ergonomic chair.
Are Gaming Chairs Better Than Office chairs?
The most pronounced difference between a gaming chair and an office chair is a reclined back, this might be the only plus-point the gaming chairs have over office chairs that make them more comfortable.
We hope our list can combat the need for an expensive massage or treatments to relieve your back problems. We put in alot of effort and thought along with personal experience in compiling a list of only the best of the best.